Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Safety is the most important thing after water damage. Here are some tips to check off your list:
- Identify the source of the water damage.
- Shut off the water if needed.
- Ask yourself, is it dangerous to stay in the house?
- Be careful of "slip and fall" hazards.
- Wet materials can be a lot heavier than before.
- Do not use appliances that water has damaged.
- If it's safe to stay in the home, you can move valuable away from water damage to limit damage to them.
- Most importantly, call the water damage professionals, SERVPRO of Escondido (760)746-6440
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (760) 746-6440
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.